[Magdalen] Naturalization Ceremony

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 7 21:03:35 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 14:55, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> I think they should all be required to pass the "stand-up" test too.
>
> Marc also had a bit of citizenship advice.
>
> "Will all of you please stand," he asked, then turning to one half of the
> room (he was in a broad aisle down the center, he asked the one half of the
> room to sit down, and pointed out that this represents the half of eligible
> voters that actually register to vote.
> He then split the room again in half by having the folks in back sit down.
> He then pointed out that this small group was making the voting decisions
> for everybody, and that, as good citizens, it was their job to make sure
> they were registered and that they became informed and voted.
>
> Good for him.

Indeed, I wish more of the electorate voted over here as well.. Part of
the problem is that when it comes to national elections (on both sides
of the pond) a smallminority are those who determine the outcome.  Most
of the country (states in the USA and constituencies in the UK) are very
firmly in one political camp or another.  Within those area it is those
of us who are swing voters who determine the outcome.  That is a
minority of a minority.  Get the non-voters turning out and the picture
can change.

Roger