[Magdalen] Milwaukee

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 11 14:05:23 UTC 2015

I saw rather more of Milwaukee than intended yesterday. I thought it might be sensible to go to the Visitor Center to get a map and a few leaflets so I looked up the address, entered it in the GPS and set off.  Construction work on the roads meant that some ramps were closed and it took some time to get there.  When I did it looked just like a closed fairground. :-(  Oh well, let's see if I can get a PAYG SIM card for my phone.  I had been advised to try US Cellular - no go.  They could sell me a phone for $40 and one month's use for another $40 - no thanks.  "Try Verizon" - no luck there either.  In England you can pick up a SIM card easily, why not over here?
As the hotel restaurant is closed for remodelling I had missed out on breakfast so was ready for something to eat by now.  I had heard from this list that Karl Ratzsch was a good place to go so I did.  They have special offer on (finishing today) so it wasn't expensive - $12.50 for three courses from a limited choice menu. ($25 for dinner.) I went for the chicken spatal soup followed by Saterbrat and finished with bread pudding.  All were very tasty and washed down with some German beer.  Service was prompt and attentive so I was in and out in 30 minutes.  I would certainly recommend it.
I next headed North to see if I could find somewhere near the Lake to park - interesting suburbs and attractive towns and villages but no chance of getting down to the shore that I could find.  It's a bit cooler today so I will try Veteran' Park now I have an address for it.  Yesterday, after lunch and before heading North, I saw it from the War Memorial Center with its statue of Abraham Lincoln who was described as President, Emancipator, Martyr.  I hadn't thought about the last one but it makes sense.  There's also a Purple Heart Memorial with the inscription "My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country's way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime." If only. Just before reaching my car I spotted the spire of an old church so I decided to investigate more closely.  It was Old St Mary's and the style looks to have a Germanic heritage.
Last place to visit was the Lakefront Brewery where the tour was enlivened by our guide, Derek, with his particular style. After getting back to the hotel through the delights of the Milwaukee rush hour I decided simply to stay in as the lunch I had was still satisfying me and I didn't feel like venturing out again.
Roger