[Magdalen] Off to Vermont

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Jun 12 22:05:29 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

>I love your sig line, Jim--I may borrow it!
>Have a wonderful trip...

Lars was a columnist (and co-worker) at New York Newsday. A fine guy in the old
newspaper tradition, though far less flamboyant from  Jimmy Breslin. One of my
jobs was to review the columns for the next day, and then read them onto a
computer that would allow readers (of $1 on a 540 line) to hear the column the
night before publication.

Breslin was still drinking at the time, so his column was usually the last one
in and reviewed via a pay phone in whatever dive he was in <g>.

I should add Gail Collins was a very sweet person -- one could not be faulted
for thinking that such a nice person cold plunge the  knife in and twist it and
leaving readers laughing their heads off at the same time. She's generally in
the NY  Times Op Ed on Thursday and Saturday.

Cheers,
Jim