[Magdalen] Erdbeerkuchen mit Schlagzahn.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 16:57:29 UTC 2015

"Tis the season for strawberry shortcake with whipped cream.

I haven't the energy to go over to the nearby Conyngham Valley to pick  my
own local strawberries, so I settled on grocery-store strawberries  from
California.  California berries have gotten much better in recent  years
(they used to be positively tasteless) but they are not quite up to  the
smaller, tastier berries locally grown.

I also purchased the shortcake and the whipped cream  (My mother  is
rolling over in her grave), but all in all, the final product was pretty
nice.

There was a pick-your-own strawberry bed a couple of miles from our
summer cabin (the one that was razed and replaced by an humongous
new home), and they had both "June berries" and "Everbearing"
strawberries that produced good strawberries until Labor Day.  As  a
result we ate strawberry shortcake maybe five days a week all summer
at the lake (Wisconsin).

When I lived in Germany 1966-1970, we soon discovered the Germans
love their strawberry short cake with copious whipped cream, too.
My younger brother and next older brother came over in 1966, and I
spent two weeks with them.  Each evening, we sampled the local
variety of erdbeerkuchen mit Schlagzahn.  They seemed to have  much
fun with the German, "Schlagzahn" word, as they also did with the
ubiquitous "Ausfahrt" word on signs on the autobahns.

David Strang.