[Magdalen] Quintessential Texas Name

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 00:57:13 UTC 2015

I went to school with one of those, but her parents had spelled it
Michalann. When I was 5, there was a little girl in the next building named
Mical. And Eric+ Funston, late of this list, has a daughter in law named
Michael.

Then there was my Israeli classmate, Michal, named for King David's first
wife, the daughter of Saul. But that's pronounced with a guttural ch and
the accent on the last syllable. After a few weeks she got tired of trying
to teach Americans to say it right and settled for Micky. Sad. (She is now
a fairly well-known marine archaeologist based in Haifa.)