[Magdalen] Off to Vermont

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 02:14:45 UTC 2015

​

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 5:05 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, it is transparently obvious that Griswold doesn't play the recorder.
>
> James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Jim Guthrie <jguthrie at pipeline.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Obviously you won't be in Scranton when I am.  I arrive there Tuesday and
>>> leave Thursday.  When I told +Frank Griswold I was going there he observed
>>> that >he had never heard of anybody visiting the place on vacation.
>>>

>> The next time I run into him, I'll have to set him straight on that
>> score. We vacationed there many times over the years.

People get POd that I write opaque references. Re this one: Guilty, yer
honor.

The Von Trapp family lodge is in Vermont.

The book _Enjoy Your Recorder_ was published by the Trapps in the early
50s, and is still in print.  I learned from it, as did a number of several
generations of recorder players.  Anybody who has learned from that book
knows the significance of the von Trapp Familie in the Renaissance of
recorder play in the USA.

Everybody should learn to play the recorder well. If you wish to learn,
this is the book to begin with. However, one final detail: The book comes
in two versions. If you have a recorder, measure it. If it is about one
foot long, it is a soprano, so you need to get the book for "C" fingering.
If the recorder is about two feet long, it is an alto, and you will need
the book with "F" fingering.
If your recorder is more than three feet long, put it aside; you have a
tenor. You should first learn on an alto (or, if your ears are sturdy, a
soprano).
All the great recorder literature is generally written for the alto, so
that's the place to start.