[Magdalen] Off to Vermont

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jun 14 22:28:30 UTC 2015

First of all, Chad, let me thank you -- and especially Lee help us connect for a
ride to Trinity Rutland this morning. There were three Baptism -- and I have to
say their Rector -- Liam Muller Is a delight! I remarked to him that he wasn't
processed like most clergy in TEC. They failed to remove his electric
personality, his boundless energy, his spirit, his enthusiasm and joyfulness
<g>. he said he was out that day.

Winnie -- who gave us the ride, said that he's like that all the time and in
everything he does. I said that the search committee did an outstanding job in
finding him (in South Dakota!), and she responded with a hearty thanks, as she
was on the Search Committee. "You did good!"

I hope to return next week. Simply a delightful Church Experience! I'm **SO**
glad we were able to go.

From: Charles Wohlers

>There indeed IS a lot to see and do in Vermont. Which is why I often say, "Why
>go anywhere when you're already there?" And I haven't even been to Rock

There's lots to see, for sure. We did quite a bit of exploring when we came for
the Liturgy Festival at St. James Woodstock some 20 years ago. Years before
that, I had a friend at University of Vermont and did some exploring on those
trips.

But I think one of the best(and unheralded) attractions is at the Shelburne
Museum -- their 1950s house. It's 1955 down to the letter -- I was 6 years old
again there, and started to cry remembering everything as it was in **our**
house back then.

>But - it was Scranton, PA that was being talked about. There is a big Railroad
>museum there, but I don't know of much else in attractions, although the
>countryside around there is pretty.

Steamtown with a working ship and roundhouse, train rides and a huge archive,
which includes 15,000 glass plate negatives of the DL&W Railroad at the start of
the 10th Century. They’ve scanned them all -- and post a half dozen a week on
another list that I;m on in hopes of identifying the location (the
photographers' log books are lost to the sands of time. The group of which I'm
President -- the New Jersey Midland Railway Historical Society -- donated our
archive to them, including 4,000 steam railroad negatives taken between the
World Wars. Those have also been scanned and are available.

Cheers,
Jim