[Magdalen] Proposed Property Settlement in Episcopal LitigationTurned Down

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 18:49:51 UTC 2015

Martin>> O I wish we had "Government owned" churches. Let me rephrase due to
my lack of knowledge...

IF a CofE church receives an endowment, who administers it and who does it
rightfully belong to?

We have heard many stories here in the pub about the CofE E churches being
compelled to marry/bury as part of their connection to the 'state', how far
does that oversight go in regard to what is the individual church's
possession, and what is not?

I was of the understanding that the Church of England is under the purview
of the government of the UK. If so,  how is it that the churches are not
considered government owned? Just because a government owns something does
not mean it pays complete upkeep etc for it. The US Episcopal churches also
do not 'own' their own churches either, but are rather part of the Church
Corporation, an entity that encompasses all of the Episcopal churches under
the purview of the Presiding Bishop. The growing misunderstanding of this
'contract' is obviously a large part of the current troubles here when a
church wants to 'take the property'.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck