[Magdalen] Anglican Evangelicals.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Tue Jun 16 19:01:36 UTC 2015

As David says, Evangelicals are much less common in the Episcopal Church
than they are in the C of E, but the reasons go back farther than what he
mentions and have very little to do with the Reformed Episcopal Church
(still a tiny denomination).

Unlike England, few places in the U. S. were ever dominated by the Anglican
Church - the Southern colonies being the main exception. Partly because of
the Anglican association with the Loyalist cause during the Revolution, its
successor (the Episcopal Church) didn't expand much immediately after the
Revolution. The group which mainly benefitted from this was the Methodists,
who increased tremendously in those years. So, I'd say that those who might
have been Episcopal Evangelicals are today Methodists, which (unlike in
England) is much, much bigger than the Episcopal Church.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com