[Magdalen] Anglican Evangelicals.

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 00:37:40 UTC 2015

"United" Methodist evangelicals in the US and evangelical Espiscopalians have much in common.  The Methodist evangelicals have a seminary [Asbury somewhere in Kentucky] that isn't affiliated with the UMC, (I believe that the same is true of the Trinity School of Ministry and TEC).  I doubt that any UM affiliated seminary is now the hotbed of Social Gospel liberalism that was prevalent in the 1920s and '30s (when my father was trained), but AFAIK none have been completely taken over by the evangelical wing.

A note on ownership:  Vanderbilt U in Nashville was organized by and affiliated with The Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  It had an independent board of trustees who were not beholden to the Methodist bishops and in time, unhappy with the rising liberalism in TMECS severed the connection.  Thus was Southern Methodist University in Dallas born in 1915--whose ownership has never been in doubt.  There is certainly some mumbling about "control," (the law school and business schools are thought to be controlled by the Dallas Chamber of Commerce)  and of course in the days when SMU was a football power a cadre of oil-rich Dallas alums held the reins.  My dad was ex officio on the SMU board during most of this time.  The board was powerless to rein in the alumni, but it did have (an used) the power to force university administrators to clean house, and not to spend University funds to fight the NCAA over its (well-deserved IMO) disciplinary actions against the SMU athletic progra
 m.