[Magdalen] Anglican Evangelicals.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jun 17 02:20:25 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/16/2015 8:38:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
thedonboyd at austin.rr.com writes:

"United"  Methodist evangelicals in the US and evangelical Espiscopalians
have much in  common >>>>>>

My UMC spies tell me that there still remains a substantial distance
between the Methodists in the USA South and the rest of that  denomination.
For example, it has always been a coalition of southern Methodists  who
have narrowly defeated approval of same-sex marriage at several  of their
General Conventions..

I've commented elsewhere how UMC USA worship patterns have  changed
over the years.  When I was a young man growing up in the church,  there
was a formalized worship style that somewhat resembled Episcopal  Morning
Prayer.

Not any more!  In large and small UMC congregations, a style of  exaggerated
informality has replaced the formalism, and sermons often end up as a  sort
of give and take patter between pulpit and pew.  There is often  sauntering
of servers and clergy about the sanctuary as though it were a family  room.

This all flies in the face of the official UMC tome, "This Holy  Mystery,"
(easily googled) that at times reads as something that might have been
written
at the Vatican.

David Strang.- Former Methodist.