[Magdalen] Anglican Evangelicals.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 14:52:50 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/18/2015 8:36:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
magdalen at herberthouse.org writes:

Sorry can you ask the Diocese of Sydney question again - though  I  doubt
can answer it as it is not in the  UK>>>>

There are some, even, I think list members here, who consider the
Diocese of Sydney to be heretical.

I do understand that Evangelicals were primary in the establishment  of
the Anglican Church in Australia, and that some of those Evangelicals
were not CofE.  In any case, the picture that seems to emerge  from
that Diocese is one of overly strong Reformed theology masquerading
as Anglicans.

Perhaps the most controversial detail of this theology
is the practice of lay presidency of the Eucharist (always "Holy
Communion"!)
which is not officially sanctioned, but does occur with the Sydney
authorities
looking the other way.  There is much more, but it is rumor upon  rumor.

But, getting back to CofE Evangelicals, I am interested in knowing what
their
usual worship patterns are.  Do they do a straight BCP 1662 Morning  and
Evening Prayer?  How often do they do Eucharist, and is it all in  surplice
and stole?  Are Eucharistic vestments ever used?  What hymnal do  they
use?  Do some CofE Evangelical parishes have a sort of free-form  worship
of the type we encounter in the USA in
Methodist/Presbyterian/Congregational
congregations?

The low church group as a whole used to control the purse strings in
TEC, as well, but with the ascension of the Eucharist in the past 50
years, all of the old signs of "churchmanship" have blurred.
Interestingly,
it is the ELCA Lutherans here in the USA that are into the purse  string
tug-of-war with conservative parishes refusing to contribute to their
equivalent of the diocese unless certain criteria are met.

David Strang.