[Magdalen] Anglican Evangelicals.

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 12:35:55 UTC 2015

David

Sorry can you ask the Diocese of Sydney question again - though I  doubt  I
can answer it as it is not in the UK

Many of the large churches such as HTB, STAG, All Souls Langham Place,  St
Aldates, Oxford, ST Ebbes Oxford and St Andrews Oxford to name a few  are
large churches. St Aldates is about 500 which is large by UK standards

They are also big contributors to the Diocesan purse.

It was rumoured that the Bishop of Oxford at the time said he could deliver
 the Evangelical vote for Jeffery John as Bishop of Reading in 2003 and it
again  is rumoured that the three big Evangelical churches in oXford said
that if he  was appointed they would cease funding he Diocese and so Rowan
Williams  persuaded Jeffrey John to withdraw his acceptance of the post.

It was hearsay but even if it were not true, the rumour reflects the power
of the Evangelical churches fiscally

Blessings
Martin