[Magdalen] Please Pray - Shooting in Charleston, SC church

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:13:50 UTC 2015

Friends,
The coroner has released the names of the people who were killed.  The Post
and Courier has a bit of biographical information on them.  I can tell you
these victims were the best of the best people in Charleston.  Ginga

In all, three people survived the shooting. The nine who died were black.
They were:

--Clementa Pinckney, 41, the primary pastor who also served as a state
senator.

--Cynthia Hurd, 54, St. Andrews regional branch manager for the Charleston
County Public Library system.

--Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45, a church pastor, speech therapist and
coach of the girls’ track and field team at Goose Creek High School.

--Tywanza Sanders, 26, who had a degree in business administration from
Allen University, where Pinckney also attended.

--Ethel Lance, 70, a retired Gilliard Center employee who has worked
recently as a church janitor.

--Susie Jackson, 87, Lance’s cousin who was a longtime church member.

--DePayne Middleton-Doctor, 49, a pastor who retired in 2005 as Charleston
County director of the Community Development Block Grant Program.

--Myra Thompson, 59, a pastor at the church.

--Daniel Simmons Sr., 74, a pastor, who died in a hospital operating room.

It was about 8:16 p.m. Wednesday when Roof walked into Emanuel AME church
at 110 Calhoun St., where the clergy and members had gathered for a regular
Bible study and prayer service. He sat for almost an hour until he rose and
started shooting, police said. Someone called for help around 9:06 p.m.

Of the three survivors, according to a local NAACP official, one woman
later told family members that the gunman let her live so she could tell
everyone else about what had happened there.