[Magdalen] Anglican Evangelicals.

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Fri Jun 19 14:50:47 UTC 2015

David

But Evangelicals are defined by those parameters: doctrine and worship
traditions. They emphasise the Bible more and are more likely to be persuaded
on  an issue if you reason with them from Scripture. Not really interested in
 tradition as they see that as being the realm of the Anglo's. Many will
view the  Liberals with great suspicion and if you dig deeper you will see
them not  really believing liberals are Christians.

Let me give you an example: My two predecessors here were liberal and in
one of their terms my Benefice was looking to team up with an Evangelical C
of E  church locally but the PCC of the Evangelical church told our Benefice
that  they did not consider them Christians - at least that is the report my
PCCs have  given me - though it was before my time.

I have always been surprised that the Liberal Catholics are so liberal with
 Biblical interpretation but not liberal in worship. They are the one who
are  hard line against lay presidency when in a rural setting at least with
so few  clergy it would be the obvious way to retain weekly Holy Communion
service which  more traditional middle of the  road country parishes want. And
so I guess  how they worship defines Liberals more.

I had naively expected them to be in the vanguard of lay presidency as they
 are in there vanguard on the gay issue and women bishops - but I was wrong

On the other hand I would expect the Evangelicals who give the Bible its
obvious meaning plain meaning and are more conservative in handling the Word
to  be conservative in worship. A few are but a greater number are
charismatic.

Sociologically I guess they tend to be middle to upper class too - usually
quite well off financially.

They will usually be believers in the Protestant work ethic.

Hope that helps

Blessings
Martin

In a message dated 19/06/2015 15:00:04 GMT Summer Time,