[Magdalen] Enjoying a colleague's accent

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:07:36 UTC 2015

​You should come to Pennsylvania (or Indiana, or Ohio, or Wisconsin, or any
other Amish stronghold) and see what sense you can make of "Deitsch", the
German dialect spoken by the Amish. I was around the dialect spoken near
Sheboygan, WI, for a couple of years, which is a variant of Plattdeutsch,
and I can't make head or tail out of Deitsch. ​

Now if you ask me to speak East Tennessee, I can, and that right fluently!
I worked in home health care in rural east Tennessee for over six years,
and I had to learn the language spoken by my patients. Yes, it's English,
but there are ways of saying things that are just as different from
standard American English as any dialect in the UK. As a friend of mine,
born and raised in Bulls Gap, TN once said, "I'm bilingual--I speak English
and East Tennessee both!"