[Magdalen] Scranton

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 13:51:29 UTC 2015

I think he is referring to the parts of NY State he saw via I-81 and  I-90.

I have a sort of shorthand for the three relatively local mountainous
areas:
The Poconos go to about 3,500 feet.  The Catskills go to 4,500 feet,  and
the Adirondacks go to about 5,500 feet (give or take a few hundred  feet.

I have no experience in the Catskills despite their proximately to NE  PA,
but I have been in the Adirondacks.  Some descriptions place the
Adirondacks in the Greater Appalachian Chain, and some do not.   In
any case they look very different from the long parallel ridges of  the
Poconos.  I was very impressed.

I also got my shovel out and grabbed four Red Spruce (Picea rubens)
seedlings, all of which are now doing well here in NE PA.

David Strang.

In a message dated 6/20/2015 8:21:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

>roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

>NY state has  its hills as well, but they seem more rolling than the ones
in
>  PA.>>>>

The Adirondacks are mere "Rolling Hills"  ???

Good Heavens!

What would you call  mountains????

(Having been in the Adirondacks on our train trip to  North Creek NY, and
having
spent some time there with family over the  year, you can tell I strongly
differ
<g>).

Cheers,
Jim