[Magdalen] Scranton

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 15:32:26 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/20/2015 9:42:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

I  haven't seen the Adirondacks butI did go through the Rockies back in
2013, on  the train from Vancouver to Totonto so it took a relatively easy
route.
Roger>>>>>

When on the subject of tall mountains of "folded" origin, that will
always mean to me the Alps.  I'll never forget driving from the  high
Bavarian Plain and catching my first glimpse of the northern front
of the snow capped peaks.

A special charm of the Alps is that they run east and west, and thus
provide no barrier to the generally abundant moisture coming in off
the Atlantic.  As a result they are verdant much beyond the  usual
situation with a north/south range such as the Rockies.

Not to knock the Rockies, especially their manifestation in Glacier
National Park (USA and Canada), for they are very impressive.

But on the subject of mountains of North America, Mount McKinley
(Denali) reigns supreme.  It's rare to have so much elevation
come directly out of a relatively low plain.  That's not to forget  the
volcanic mountains of the Pacific Northwest, and those in Mexico.

David Strang.