[Magdalen] Enjoying a colleague's accent

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jun 21 16:26:09 UTC 2015

When I went of GWU, our athletic teams played in the Southern Conference. We
were the first school to have an African=American player, So when we played a
basketball game we heard a lot of Dixie and Catcalls. And (I forget which, East
Carolina and Citadel -- schools were military academies training officers for
the moment the Traitorous Truce of Appomattox was called off), but every time
Garland got possession, someone would throw n egg at him. And then the ref would
call a technical foul. I've never seen so many TFs in  game anywhere.

We also had Bob Talent, a transfer from Kentucky who  ahd been on the all-white
team that lost to the all-Black team for Texas in that ugly scandal.

Of course, the Confederate Battle Flag remains the ultimate symbol of
subjugation of African-Americans, as well as a symbol of treachery and
treason -- and flying it over the State Capital in South Carolina tells  us much
about the attitude of the majority of people in South Carolina *and other places
where this crap is government-sanctioned).

Jim Guthrie
.