[Magdalen] Golly! Thanks, Dad!

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 19:26:27 UTC 2015

We have two overweight kitties who have to eat a limited diet, and two
smaller ones who can eat pretty much what they want.

I have a protocol now of feeding Nancy (our kitten) and Max (the deaf
elderstateman) in my office, out of range of the other two.

Max lets me know when it's feeding time.

He gets on my computer and sings. Then he rears up and waves his paws in
the air. Such a wonderful singing voice!

I put down some food in his dish.

A few minutes later, he comes and cries for food.  I fuss over him a bit
and then show him the dish, which has the food in it.

It's really as if he says, "Wow!  Thanks, Dad!" and plows in.

A few minutes later, he does it again.

And a few minutes later....

Isn't this the most wonderful kitty? I tell him.

I wonder if he has cognitive impairment. My beloved says I see everything
in psych terms, having lived with it for thirty years.

I console myself with the fact that he seems a happy enough kitty, and
purrs up a storm when he gets in my lap at other times.

It's just so funny to have him come begging for food, then when I show him
the food I just put down for him, he's like, "WOW! Thanks, Dad!"

Hmm. I wonder if he just wants me to spot for him while he eats....

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford