[Magdalen] Please Pray - Shooting in Charleston, SC church

anthony clavier anthonyfmclavier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 21:19:51 UTC 2015

 really can't understand how some of my friends can't bring themselves to
acknowledge the grim reality of racism and who seek to advance the theory
that symbols of racism are somehow neutral, because they fear that to admit
this horror would somehow weaken their other political ideals. My
great-great grandfather, Antoine Clavier de Cas Navire was black, of mixed
race, a graduate of the Sorbonne, who was expelled from Martinique for
championing the rights of slaves. My grandfather, a doctor, was colored.
When he came to England from Guyana after the war, when I was seven, I met
him and gasped, "Mummy my Grandpa is a black man." He roared with laughter
and loved me. I was taught from the earliest age that color, like beauty is
skin deep, and that it's who we are, not what we are that counts. It sounds
simple but it is hard to break out of safer habits.

However I'm very much afraid that when the dust settles, we will swiftly
forget the Charleston massacre, the media will move to another subject,
and, until this sort of tragedy recurs, we will bury our heads in the sand
because we dare not admit that there runs through contemporary society a
deep vein of intolerance towards any caste that isn't like our own. Jesus
wept.

Tony

--
The Rev. Tony Clavier
Vicar: St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, Glen Carbon IL