[Magdalen] Please Pray - Shooting in Charleston, SC church

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 18:37:36 UTC 2015

Thanks for 'getting this', Sally.  That is very important to me and
ultimately to how this particular event is understood in context.  Since he
took office nearly 40 years go, Charleston's mayor, Joe Riley, a
progressive Democrat, has worked hard toward the end that all races live
together as one people.  In the earliest days of his service as mayor,
conservative Charlestonians gave him the moniker "Little Black Joe."  He,
of course, is not African American.  But, he gets that all are one.  At 72
and profoundly deaf, he is in the last months of his tenure.  I would not
be at all surprised if Charleston elects an African American mayor.

An aside, but so important, the pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church,
where Good Shepherd rents, some of us worshiped with them.  I was there
only for final prayers and singing...today is not a very good day in my
recovery, but all is well...otherwise I'd have attended the whole service.
In the final prayers, among other requests,  Pastor Knox prayed for Dylann
Roof, the young man who murdered the nine people at Mother Emanuel on
Wednesday.  She asked God to turn his heart.  I know two parishioners from
Wesley fairly well.  As we embraced at the end of the service, we agreed
that we are grateful that we are all one in Christ.

Ginga