[Magdalen] Fwd: Enjoying a colleague's accent

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:00:36 UTC 2015

Sounds as though I have a feast to look forward to, as a "series" addict!

I'm watching the first Poldark series and loving it...I remember reading
the books but it was so long ago I've forgotten the plot. I just finished a
series of Longmire which I really enjoy, those landscapes are just
wonderful and the characters exceptionally gripping for an American series
(I'm more used to the British style).

Then there's a new Call The Midwife which started last night; I've been
watching Rome (fast forward through the more gruesome parts), and when
there's no danger of falling asleep, Vera starring the delightful Brenda
Blethyn as a Geordie detective whose style of interrogation, (e.g. "What
happened next, pet?") appears to be irresistible. I also like Geordie
accents and have done since my first visit to County Durham where I was
tickled to see young men (mostly large and athletic) being addressed as
"flower" by the University catering assistants.

I'm also, when time allows, re-watching The Americans (for the brilliant
acting) and trying to get into a couple of series that are new to me, Nurse
Jackie and Chasing Shadows.

We recently had a new channel added to our satellite TV, ITV Choice, which
is where some of the best series have been screened including Poldark and
Vera.

Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey (now finished) are on BBC Entertainment.

Last year I enjoyed Outlander, which has turned into an entire shelf in the
bookstore...but the books read a bit like screenplays so I thought I'd just
wait for the sequel.

I watch far too much TV, often playing Candy Crush at the same time!!

Sally D