[Magdalen] Scranton

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Jun 22 18:37:42 UTC 2015

On 6/21/15 3:04 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> We do not say come to New Paltz and see the mountains, but every so often
> somebody gets killed trying to climb 'em. Driving to the West outa town,
> that is one heckuva rift!
>
> A guy will not say, "I'm just glad these aren't the Rockies," as he plunges
> to his death.

Even in my Ozarks, which are truly "rolling hills" compared to the
Rockies, you can easily get killed trying to climb in the wrong place,
say a place that is beyond your skills, or you get careless.  I would
remind you that people can get killed falling down stairs!

Death is not the standard of measurement for mountains.  For that
matter, neither is altitude, when some mountains rise from a base of a
high and large plateau, and others rise from sea level itself.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net