[Magdalen] Rental cars and insurance, gas etc, was -->Re: Listmeet follow-up

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:57:36 UTC 2015

My understanding of the rental's I've used (Enterprise, Advantage, Thrifty,
National, Budget and recently Hertz through a secondary rental company) are
the following:
my own car insurance will cover me
my business credit card will cover me if I'm renting for business purposes
(which is 99% of my rental use)

All of the above companies push ever harder about selling us their coverage,
and the latest approach is that they  will  bill rental costs (your
arranged-for daily rate)for every day the car is out of commission, if you
don't use their coverage. I've not yet looked into whether either of my
go-to insurance coverage strategies will also cover that, and I'd imagine if
I go home, and the car remains in the city I visited, the company may not
get to the repairs in a timely manner... just sayin'.

Regarding the gas rental, I've never heard of the $10. for refusing.

I rarely use a full tank, so I never prepay for a full tank (upon return) as
that's a loosing proposition, even if/when their per gallon rate is less
than or comparable to the local cost. I know where the gas stations are near
all the airports I use, so fill up on my way back to the airport. That has
always worked for me.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck