[Magdalen] KI'm voting for Lincoln Chaffee!

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Tue Jun 23 22:42:07 UTC 2015

Went out to look at my apple trees earlier and noticed that the deer have been browsing on some. So I go to mix up some of my stinky stuff to spray on the trees, which does a pretty good job of deterring them.

I read on the container: “mix 8 fluid ounces into a gallon”. But I only have this itty quart hand sprayer – these are still small trees, after all. So – how much stinky stuff to I add to the sprayer? I seem to recall that there are 4 quarts in a gallon, and my sprayer is marked as containing 32 ounces. Therefore, a gallon is 128 ounces, so the container is calling for a 1:16 dilution. Or 2 fluid ounces. OK, how do I measure out 2 fluid ounces with the tablespoon I have for this purpose? That is, how many fluid ounces in a tablespoon? Not having the foggiest idea, I go into the house and open a cookbook, which tells me that a tablespoon is 1/2 fluid ounce. Finally – 4 tablespoons stinky stuff into my sprayer and then fill to the mark with water.

Now – if these measurements were all in milliliters & liters, it would be a single calculation I could do in my head and then just fill the sprayer with stinky stuff to so many milliliters, and then dilute to the mark.

English measurements, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com