[Magdalen] Creator of Cultural Icon RIP

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:18:19 UTC 2015

Our youth group started doing this a few years ago as an Epiphany season
fund raiser. The most popular Mardi Gras parade/krewe in Baton Rouge is
that of Spanish Town, a politically-incorrect, very edgy parade, that
started in the eclectic neighborhood bordering the state capitol, so
usually goes with a political theme. The mascot of Spanish Town: the
pink flamingo. The City Park lake is filled with six-foot wooden pink
flamingos near the start of carnival season, and it just grows from there.

http://www.spanishtownmardigras.com/parade.htm

All to say: the flamingos were in *high* demand, and we had several
families disappointed that they *weren't* flocked, thus having the
unofficial BR Mardi Gras mascot all over their front yard. In fact, this
year, we had to set a three-day limit for keeping the flock in one's
yard, and were able to charge additional fees for a longer period!

Peace,
Jo