[Magdalen] Please pray

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 20:20:56 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/26/2015 3:21:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu writes:

Certainly, prayers.  Might not a kindhearted salvage/recycling  place (where
the plunder is likely to be sold) turn in the culprits, if  they knew it was
a church theft?>>>>

This sounds like something straight out of the Reign of Henry VIII,  when
he raped the monasteries and priories, among other things, to get the
lead from the roofs for lead shot to be used in his wars.

That's why there are so many "bare, ruined choirs" in Britain.   Once
the lead roofing was gone, the buildings were open to the elements  and
the rest of the roof was the first to go.  Somewhat later, the stone  of
these religious buildings was easy pickings for the lords of the  manor
to purloin for their fancy manor houses.

And so you have an abundance of such ruins as Glastonbury, Bury
Saint Edwards, Melrose, Walsingham, and Tintern.

I didn't realize there was such a market for lead nowadays.  I  wonder
how safe it is to handle lead in its roofing form?

David Strang.