[Magdalen] Bp. Wright OKs same sex weddings

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 21:33:25 UTC 2015

Sally

You make some good points Thank you

Blessings
Martin

sally.davies at gmail.com writes:

Hi  Martin

I understand that there are strong feelings on this subject.  It's one that
I have struggled with; not for a moment with the question of  what it means
to be gay or whether gay people should have the same rights  as others to
love, comfort and security, but with what the Scripture  says.

There are some very helpful articles around that one can read,  from both
perspectives, and I think it's good that we all read them,  perhaps with a
special focus on those whose views differ from our own, in  order to
encourage respect for that difference.

President Obama  mentioned that and I feel he was right to do so.

As to Moloch, those  with a firmer grasp of Biblical history can correct me,
but I had the  understanding that worshippers of Moloch would sacrifice
their children to  placate this demon God. So I don't find that an accurate
or fair analogy,  even if Moses lived at the time when Moloch worship was
extant in the  region (not sure that he did).

As it has often been said, if you are  against gay marriage, then don't
marry a gay person. Etc. The Bible is not  strong on human rights either,
but that does not mean that laws governing  human rights are not pleasing to
God in many ways.

I feel for gay  people who - in an effort to be obedient to their
understanding of God's  will - have struggled for years with the pain of
loneliness and celibacy  that they would not have chosen, had a different
interpretation of  Scripture been hegemonic as it were. Or those who have
conducted their  romantic and sexual lives in the shadows and become used to
thinking of  their sexuality as disordered and sinful. Such people naturally
have an  investment in resisting this change, which does not mean their
arguments  are invalid per se, but does muddy the waters, considerably.

YM clearly  does V, and that's OK, but I would personally prefer it if we
don't try to  offend each other here. We all respect the Scripture but we
don't all read  it in the same way. And as far as I'm aware, it's still OK
to be an  Anglican (Episcopalian) without affirming the "inerrancy" of
Scripture or  denying that context can be critical as we wrestle with the
Scriptures, Old  and New. We do not (yet) have a Covenant nor do we bow to a
Magisterium.  Rather, we share common prayer and worship, within the
embracing shelter of  Tradition, Scripture and Reason.

Sally D

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/as-a-gay-atheist-i-want-to-
>  see-the-church-oppose-same-sex-marriage/

<http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/as-a-gay-atheist-i-want-to-see-the-church-oppose-same-sex-marriage/>

>  I liked this comment:
>
> Would  it have occurred for a  moment to Moses (let alone God) that he’d
> better defer to   Moloch-worship because that’s what most of the
Israelites