[Magdalen] Supreme Court

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 28 20:54:05 UTC 2015

I recognize that the US Supreme Court is charged, inter alia, with the
interpretation of the Constitution. That means it needs to be
independent of the legislature amd the executive branches of
government.  However in recent judgements, notably as regards same-sex
marriage, it has shown that it is responsive to "sensus populi" rather
than being strictly bound by prior decisions of that Court.

Such an evolutionary approach to justice as evoking "the will of the
people" is, I believe, as we celebrate 800 years of the Magna Carta as
our tradiotns need to evolve to meet current expectations.  That being
said, where is it stated that Supreme Court Justices hold office until
death or resignation?  Is this appropriate or should there be provision
for forced retirement on the basis of time served, age or inability to
carry out the funbctions of being a Justoce?

Roger