[Magdalen] Conscience's clause

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 29 23:19:14 UTC 2015

On 29/06/2015 19:03, Charles Wohlers wrote:
> I don't know for a fact, but I would very much doubt if that's true. I
> do know it's not true in the Dioceses of Massachusetts and Vermont -
> both of which are quite liberal and both of which states have had gay
> marriage for a while now. Clergy in the Episcopal church are free to
> refuse marriage to anyone for any reason. I believe such is not the
> case in the C of E.

It was way back when I was a Curate in about 1973 that I realised that
the Church of England's official position of the time was a load of
baloney.  The son of the church's verger had gone through a form of
marriage with a woman and the relationship broke down.  He went to see
about a divorce and discovered that the woman was still legally married
to someone else when they had "married".  The "marriage" was thus
biganous and invalid so he was still a bachelor and entitled to marry in
the parish church.

Likewise someone who had had a series of live-in partners but not
married any of them could come along to the church and claim the right
to be married there.  On the other hand a girl who had married as a
teenager someone who was a right rogue and whom she then divorced was
not entitled to get married in church.  This applied even decades later
when she was in mid-life, been alone for perhaps 20 years and come to a
real Christian faith.

At one stage the General Synod recognized that it was right that some
people who had been divorced should be allowed to marry in church.
Unfortunately they could not decide at the time, out of a number of
options presented to them, who should decide after what process whether
to allow a particular marriage.  Years later it was decided that the
priest should make the decision, having had the couple fill in a form
and interviewing them, and then informing the bishop of the decision.

If the decision is "No" then the couple can go to the priest of another
parish where they meet the residence or other qualification and ask
about getting married there.  The original priest then has to furnish
the original form and the reasons for the decision but the second priest
makes up theur own mind.

Roger

Roger