[Magdalen] Conscience's clause

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 06:29:33 UTC 2015

Jim

As TEC is part of the Anglican Communion as is the C of E church, I assumed
 a similarlity with the UK

In England, I am required by law to marry any one who lives in my  parish
who is single or a widower/widow - or at least allow my church to be used
for such a marriage, provided they are pepared to go through the Christian
marriage service prescribed. Although I cat as a Registrar in such matter, a
Registrar cannot marry people in a C of E church unless he is a Church of
Englandn clergyman. In other words, if the Vicar forgets and the Registrar is
 one of the guests at the wedding, the Registrar can't step in and take the
 wedding!!

However if someone has been divorced, if I - as the vicar-t do not agree
with marrying divorcees in Church I can use a conscience clause to say no and
 not allow my church to be used either.

However, I do personally marry divorcees based on my understanding  of
divorce from th Scriptures (my reasoning is given in a sermon put on
Serrmoncentral.com that you an find under
http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/divorce--the-second-unforgivable-sin-revd-martin-dale-sermon-on-bible-study-55http:/
/www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/divorce--the-second-unforgivable-sin-revd-mar
tin-dale-sermon-on-bible-study-55859.asp859.asp )

In other words, I believe as an conservative Evangelical you can marry a
divorcee in Church.

Blessings
Martin