[Magdalen] Bp. Wright OKs same sex weddings

Susan Hutchinson shutchinsonca at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:38:29 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-29, at 11:59 PM, Sally Davies wrote:

> We have that same 'outdoors' rule here, must be a Colonial hangover.

This used to be the case in Canada. The Marriage Canon was changed several years ago at the behest of First Nations people. Outdoor venues require the Bishop's permission in most dioceses.

My sister wanted me to perform her wedding a few years ago. I needed permission from the bishop in the diocese in which she was living. She wanted an outdoor wedding, was divorced twice (one only is allowed by canon), and is not baptized (neither was her fiance). I told her that I might be able to sort out the outdoor part, but not the others -- especially not in a different diocese with a strict bishop! She understood. The official part of the wedding was done by a provincial marriage commissioner (a specifically licensed non religious offficial in British Columbia). I gave a blessing at the end.

blessings
Susan

The Rev. Susan Hutchinson
604-319-7148