[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the National Cathedral.

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:09:14 UTC 2015

Things (and this thread) remind me of the "fighting bishop" (Leonidas
Polk?) who is memorialized at our seminary at Sewanee.  Do we remove him
from the seminary?  Do we simply forget him?

I'm leaning to the side of people who say such things matter.  Who do we
have to sterilize/erase/purge from our church history to make it
theologically correct???
We can't erase our past.  Things happen.  Horrible things sometime.

Some of the knee-jerk reactions of my fellow liberals is very sad.  What's
the next thing they are hell bent to purge in order for the church to be
theologically/politically correct?  James Baldwin says it best: “For
nothing is fixed, forever and forever and forever, it is not fixed; the
earth is always shifting, the light is always changing, the sea does not
cease to grind down rock. Generations do not cease to be born, and we are
responsible to them because we are the only witnesses they have. The sea
rises, the light fails, lovers cling to each other, and children cling to
us. The moment we cease to hold each other, the sea engulfs us and the
light goes out.”

Important: "Generations do not cease to be born, and we are responsible to
them because we are the only witnesses they have."  As witnesses, I don't
think we should change our past, nor deny it nor sugar coat it.  Yes, the
'rebel flag' is nasty.  Sadly, it reminds me that banning it won't change
anything.  Too many people are still fighting the CW.  Baldwin is as
important today as he was in the 50s and 60s...if he were around today, he
wouldn't be surprised at all how poorly the US has done regarding race and
racism.  My two cents...applying asbestos underwear.

Grace and peace,
jon