[Magdalen] A Note Re CofE and TEC History

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 30 22:18:39 UTC 2015

On 30/06/2015 22:58, Charles Wohlers wrote:
> Actually, the parish system is historically important in Colonial
> America. Parishes and their boundaries were established in New England
> as it was settled, although there of course were Congregational, not
> Anglican churches there (Baptist in RI). The successors of these
> parishes are today's towns and cities, and, unless you are in a really
> remote area like the Maine woods, you live in some organized Town or
> City. Most of these - especially the older ones - have a single
> Congregational church to this day. This organization (without the
> Congregational churches) also applies to a lesser extent in the
> Mid-Atlantic states (NY, NJ, PA).

I recall seeing sugns along the highway about coiunty lines as well as
city (or corporation) limits  but aren't there also unincoroirated areas
in the census returns?  Under the Poorr Laws in England the Vicar and
Wardens wqere responsible for giving relief to the poor of their parish
and all within the parish were obliged to pay the parish rate.  I
believe that may still be officially the case in at least some parts of
the coubtry, such as the City of London (not to be confused with Greater
London) though it is almost never claimed.

Elsewhere there are still civil Parishes with their own Parish Council
responsible for certain relatively minor matters.  In those areas the
Parish Council can levy a precept on all residences to pay for the work
they are responsible for.  That is legally enforceable and collected by
the next level up in the local government chain. More generally all
parishioners on the civil Electoral Register are entitled to vote for
the wardens of the ecclesiastical parish.  That is why our Annual
Meetings are technically in two parts - the Annual Meeting of
Parishioners and the Annual Parochial Church Meeting - as those who are
on the civil Electoral Register but not the church Electoral Roll have
neither voice nor vote at the Parochial Church Meeting.

Roger