[Magdalen] Conscience's clause

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 30 22:18:06 UTC 2015

From: James Oppenheimer-Crawford

>Unlike some other countries, the USA does not have an established church at
>all. The Episcopal Church has been a sort of defacto established church,
>but without any of the legal constraints generally appertaining thereto (I
>always love to write that kind phrase in an email, don't you?).

That with exception of John and Robert Kennedy, the fact that most "national"
funerals are held at the  National Cathedral surely gives that impression <g>.

But in a couple of recent funerals, it drove some of the right-wing crazy and
there was some fussing in those quarters.

>Religious functionaries are not associated with, nor beholden to, the
>gummint. That eliminates a few potential problems. A religious functionary

Well, one might make the exception of Billy Graham in the 1950s.

BTW, here at St Luke's, Scranton, the Senior Warden and a prominent local
physician will be tying the knot in our first same sex wedding.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie