[Magdalen] R.I.P. Minnie Minoso

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:01:47 UTC 2015

Minnie Minoso (Saturnino Orestes Armas Minoso), great player for the
Chicago White Sox, has died at the age of 90. In 1951, as a rookie left
fielder, he became the first black player for the White Sox, and he was one
of the first latin-Americans to be named to a major league all-star team.
He was both a good hitter and a speed merchant, and he was good with the
glove also. Although we were a NL household, he was still a favorite
player. In later years, I named my first Saturn automobile for
him....Saturnino Orestes, Minnie for short.

R.I.P. Minnie. The Field of Dreams awaits.