[Magdalen] whose theology is this?

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:59:04 UTC 2015

It has been my experience that, in our downtown parish, we have a large
number of parishioners who will give *generously* to world wide appeals,
but who are the same parishioners that must be fought tooth-and-nail to
keep our lunch bag ministry going, as it brings "those people" too near
"their" church.

As your church moves into its proposed downtown home, some may be
tempted to worry about damage to the church, or scary people, or keeping
the cushions clean on your new chairs, rather than *do* ministry where
you are. (As Jim Guthrie often reminds us about the cost of church
buildings, real and otherwise.) It is so much cleaner and neater to
write a check to the area homeless shelter or half-way house.

A poorly delivered message, surely, but one that may need to be put in
the parish collective memory to prevent temptations to only naval gaze
about the political arena, or to "just write a check."

Peace,
Jo