[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:50:45 UTC 2015

We had a reading from the Bible every day, and each child got to pick a
reading.  I didn't realize the big deal at the time, but I had a copy of
the RSV (still have it) just obtained, and read from that. It had just come
out.  We had Jewish students, but who cares?  The big deal was that when we
recited the LP, the RCC students stopped after "evil."  I still remember
Coral Snodgrass opening up her pencil box to get started with classwork as
we were all still babbling away....

The prayer had to go at some point, and the Bible reading became a moment
of silence.

Never can understand what the hoopla was about.  After all, so long as
there are pop quizzes, there will always be prayer in school.  Always.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford