[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 18:25:56 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/2/2015 11:59:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

>God save our gracious Queen
>Long live our noble  Queen>>>

We always concluded Methodist Sunday school with a verse
of the USA text which borrows this tune, "My Country "Tis of Thee".

On Sunday's near a USA national holiday, we'd sing additional
verses, including the one that ends, "Great God our King".

In my younger and sillier days at Saint Francis House,  UW-Madison,
many of us constantly referred to ourselves as members of the CofE,
and when My Country... was sung, sang, instead, the God Save Our
Gracious Queen text.  It was, I guess, a British phase.

It strikes me that some in this Diocese of Bethlehem USA are entering
a British phase because of this summer's choral adventure as choir-
in-residence at Winchester, England for a week or so.

The choir is made up of better singers from several diocesan parish
choirs, and everyone is much atwitter in anticipation of their visit
to the "Merry Isle".

There is some connection with Winchester locally, in that the Dean of
Winchester has preached a couple of times at St. Stephen's  Procathedral.
I remember well his reference to the "Great Screen", which will be the  back
drop for much of the diocesan choir activity.

And by coincidence, I used to spend a vacation yearly in Winchester,  which
cathedral town I know best in England.  I dearly wish I were able to
accompany
the choir this summer.  I'm sure there will be You  Tube,clips etc. of the
event.

David Strang.