[Magdalen] Indian (and other) English

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 18:42:48 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/2/2015 12:41:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
revegger at gmail.com writes:

Jay, my  mother, too, had a fear of pressure cookers.  I've been watching
some  vids on You Tube about pressure cooking and can see where her fear may
have  come from.  Despite the 'modern changes' the cooks always remind  the
viewer of the dangers that come with pressure  cooking.>>>

Western Wisconsin (Eau Claire) is the corporate home of the "Presto"
Company that made its debut manufacturing pressure cookers.   Every
cook in that area had one, and, in the case of my mother, several
pressure cookers of various sizes.

I may have posted the story of my mother's pressure cooker "event"
in the earlier years of the pressure cooker mania.

She made some pea soup in a pressure cooker, and no one was,
luckily, in the kitchen, which up until that event was painted white,
when it blew up, cascading pea soup over everything, including walls
and ceiling.

Mother sized up the damage and said, "You know, I like this color."
For the remaining nearly 60 years she lived in the family home,
it was a pea-soup color for the kitchen.

David Strang - who remembers that the Presto Company is owned by
the Phillips family, which includes columnists "Ann Landers,"(Eppie)
and twin sister "Dear Abby" (Po Po).