[Magdalen] Indian (and other) English

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:28:25 UTC 2015

I remember the pressure cooker when I was a kid.  As I recall, we used it
for cooking, not painting.

However, that reminds me of an afternoon when I was in my workshop after
hours. There was a microwave against the back wall which I used to heat up
the water for my obligatory cups of coffee.

I would heat up the water in the cop and then toss in the powder and
creamora and splenda or whatever, and viola, as we musicians like to say.

I would start a cup and then work on paperwork and then make the coffee.
Sometimes I got absorbed in the paperwork and would have to start all over
again.

One day, I realized I'd forgotten all about it and started the microwave
again, and walked back to my desk.

What followed was one of the loudest reports I have ever heard.

I knew the microwave could not have exploded, and besides, there it stood,
intact.  I came over ot it and found the inside of it sopping with water,
and perhaps a half-inch of water left in the cup.

I had heated the water, thus removing all gases from it, and then allowed
it to cool somewhat.

Reheating it allowed the water, now free of any small items to foster the
onset of boiling, to heat up well past the boiling point until finally it
all changed to steam in a realllly magnificent BANG!!

I guess it's small wonder that boiling water powers large cities. There's a
LOT of power there.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford