[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Susan Hutchinson shutchinsonca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:11:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-02, at 8:59 AM, Roger Stokes wrote:

> I have never come across the last two stanzas you quote.

The same holds for me -- educated in post WWII Canada. Yes, the Lord's Prayer was said daily in my public elementary schools in Ontario, but I don't recall saying it in the military base schools I attended in Canada or Germany from 1965 to 1969. The same goes for high schools in Alberta, Virginia and BC. Occasionally, but certainly not everyday, O Canada was sung, verse one only, and in English. The Royal Salute (God Save the Queen in English and French) was occasional and usually heard at military and civic events. In my US high school in Virginia, the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner were required at assembly. I stood silently as I was not a citizen and there on a diplomatic visa. For this I got flack from a few students (it was the early seventies in suburban Washington DC -- the military, CIA and diplomatic kids were a bit antsy), but an explanation usually did the trick. It was hard to spot the Canadians in the crowd! ;-)

blessings
Susan

The Rev. Susan Hutchinson
604-319-7148