[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 2 19:41:52 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/2/2015 2:23:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

You  know, I don't recall that we even routinely said the Pledge of
Allegiance  in the Madison Public Schools. As I said, it was the People's
Republic of  Madison even in the 1950s. Adlai Stevenson was reputed to have
said Madison  was one of only three truly liberal cities in the country, the
others being  Berkeley, CA, and Cambridge, MA.>>>>

The Pledge of Allegiance was commonly recited in the schools of NW
Wisconsin in the 1940's and 1950's.  There was a special poignancy  in
this during WW-2 and the Korean War.

As to Madison's liberality, you can take that to the bank.  My son,  Kirk,
still lives in Madison (well, Middleton) and attests to that political
climate.
It's one of the reasons that Walker can win a statewide election, but  have
to put up with 100,000 demonstrators in and about the State Capitol
Building in Madison.

And on the subject of Madison liberals, I wonder what happened to my
late undergraduate friend's lovely home and completely wild yard (he  was
a botanist) since his death a year and a half ago.  He was, as my  mother
used to say, "without issue".

David Strang.