[Magdalen] Praying the Psalm

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:02:45 UTC 2015

We had a neighbor who was an anesthesiology resident. A delightful young
man
with a warm outgoing personality. I couldn't figure out why he was in
anesthesia.
Then one day we were chatting and he told me he'd just finished his pain
clinic
rotation and had discovered his vocation there. He was perfect for it
actually,
an intelligent, sympathetic listener and creative thinker. A problem solver
but
not aggressive/controlling about it. A high degree of compassion and what I
came to recognize as "respect for the patient." Can't remember his name.

Seemed stable & grounded, too (anesthesiologists sometimes develop raging
substance abuse issues ... we lost a couple to suicide along the way).
-M, holed up in rainy North Carolina with blizzards blocking my way north