[Magdalen] What Were They Thinking?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 17:01:55 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/6/2015 11:45:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

It's  funny to think that as I grow older, I now realise just how "mixed"
Salinas  was >>>

It was exactly the opposite in my home county of NW Wisconsin  (Burnett
County).  The only non North European ethnics were the Native  Americans
in pitiful small reservations.

No Asians.  No African Americans.  No Hispanics.

And essentially no Roman Catholics.

There were tiny RC congregations in two locations in the county,  including
my home town.  Once a year they had religious instruction provided  by
visiting nuns from Superior, Wisconsin, the location of the diocesan
cathedral.

I remember well my father driving into the village  and noticing two  fully
habited (they were in those days) nuns walking down the sidewalk, arm  in
arm.  He nearly drove off the road as he muttered, "Nuns in  Grantsburg.
What is this world coming to?"

David Strang.