[Magdalen] Sabbatical in England - not me, but I wish!

Roger Stokes r.s.stokes.65 at cantab.net
Sat Mar 7 07:39:26 UTC 2015

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jo Craddock" <jocraddock at gmail.com>
To: magdalen at herberthouse.org
Sent: 07/03/2015 02:59:22
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] Sabbatical in England - not me, but I wish!

>Oh, I didn't intend to imply such, Roger! I think Mark holds hope for
>covering vacation terms for others. I'm told a "clergy housing swap
>site" in the CofE was initiated in 2011, but holds no posts since 2012.
>I should have been clearer: is there another source for such
>information?

I have seen advertisements in the "Church Times" for such things, but
that was years ago. That's the only idea I have along that line.

>I'm assuming he's acquainted with the permissions needed; we've had
>CofE priests within BR, so it seems to me such things may have come up
>in deanery discussion, but I've not asked.

There is a difference in that a visiting priest to TEC needs only the
diocesan bishop's agreement as I had last year in SC.  C/E canon law
insists on the archbishop's permission in addition.  I would guess that
is pretty much a formality but the crucial thing is deciding where to go
first of all. One way may be to approach the dioceses that are in the
right area (Ely and St Albans) to see if they would put a notice in
their monthly clergy mailing but I fear he is not allowing much time to
set that up.  Most clergy having a sabbatical or thinking about an
extended break will have made their arrangements already.

Sorry I am not being much help here.

Roger