[Magdalen] "Formal Speech"

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sat Mar 7 20:07:36 UTC 2015

It must be that I'm in a different universe.  There are grammatical rules,
yes.  But it has been acceptable to end sentences with prepositions for
DECADES.  Where have some been during those decades?  Evidently not reading
nor writing, nor communicating with 20th and 21st Century grammarians.
Nobody uses "whom" anymore.  That's not about sloppiness, it's about
evolution (slower, but inevitable).  I am not an English class dropout, but
someone who keeps up on the (current, late 20th Century) formal rules of
usage.  Stay current, or accept one's status as a dinosaur!  Sorry, and no
disrespect meant to my (not so very, but also not very current) elders!

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu