[Magdalen] "Formal Speech"

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Mar 7 15:12:15 UTC 2015

Informal Speech includes speaking in incoherent phrases determined by page
designers -- say, in some parishes reciting the Nicene Creed.

There are more formal speech parishes, where the Creed is recited in complete
sentences without the long pause between phrases. We had  a Priest at Christ
Church who decided formal speech was better than informal speech, and made sure
that when using the BCP -- whether the Creed or the Post-Communion prayer or
anything else used formal speech.

I suspect the formal speech clergy tend to be those who used the 1928 book,
there the layout was in paragraphs, which demanded formal speech.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie