[Magdalen] New Jersey ain't purty

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Mar 8 20:03:43 UTC 2015

From: ME Michaud

>But the people are lively. And it's in the New York metro
>area. The television news is fast and weird. They cover
>the arts as if it's news. And the guy in the hotel lobby
>is listening to Edith Piaf instead of Billy Ray Cyrus.
>Real actual bagels in the breakfast area. And decent
>tea.

Is this a complaint about covering the arts as news or confronted by Edith Piaf
or Decent Bagels?

And how weird is news that covers more than football, fires, felonies,
fenderbenders, and festivals?

>Oh, and speaking of American Impressionism and the
>Hudson River School (and Swedenborgianism): George
>Inness (the best painter you might never have heard of).
>His landscapes were influenced by and expressions of
>his Swedenborgian faith. When he painted the sun glinting
>through trees, he was speaking as eloquently of God as
>Tintoretto or Raphael ever did.

The Hudson River School is for my tastes, the best of American Art.  We were at
a convention last fall and while I was enjoying a seminar, Albert was making the
rounds of the displays and venders. After the session was done, he showed me a
book he purchased. He was showing me all the beautiful plates that he was in
love with -- I didn’t have the heart to tell him that my 40- year old copy of
the "Hudson River and it Painters" is in our bookcase at home.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie